Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunbirds' Valentine Flolicking in My Garden

This is a female Brown-throated Sunbird (Anthreptes malacensis). It has olive colour feathers., and feed on nectar. I think about two pairs of the birds were in my garden this afternoon at about 5.20 pm, turn up for bath after I had sprayed water to the orchids. They appears so happy and flew down. One manage a quick bath by rolling down along along a fern leave! I snaped away and got a few good photos. Later another did the same. Wow, they must had a very hot day.
Aperture f/5.6, Shutter speed 1/160, Focal length (35mm) 300mm, ISO 400.
Spreading one wing to rub some water on.
Close up of the bird's rolling motion on the wet fern leave. It opened its wing a little to rub, and notice that it's kind of retracted the legs while bathing along the fern leave.
This is the male Sunbird companion. Had difficulty focusing it due to the vines in front. The male has brown throat and metalic blue shoulder patch. I refered to Morten Strange's A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Southeast Asia (my Valentine present from my dearest) to identify this birdie. Below are series of photos of the bird bathing.




No comments:

Post a Comment